Director of Operations Job Description
Updated: October 25, 2017
Salary: $70-80k annual
We are a team of driven individuals motivated to make a difference in our lives and those who we affect with our products and interactions. Through the collaboration of our employees, we drive a company that obsessively reaches to change the future. Together we create awe-inspiring opportunities for children, teachers and parents to learn and implement foundational cognitive skills through play. Kodo’s investigation-based tools are truly unique within the early childhood education market.
We are here at Kodo because we love what we are building. We are driven by passion in our individual ways and bring that drive together to make significant impact in the work we perform. We work and enjoy life because we have found a company which appreciates and supports the time and effort we provide. We are driven, positive, forward looking individuals who work together to make an impact on children, schools, and education in addition to each other. Multiple voices, ideas, perspectives and experiences bring profound insight, while individual decisions get work done. Individual choice, voice and opinion brings character, crispness and passion. We believe in teamwork, team-voice and team-insight, but we believe in the individual to make the impact. We strive to make meaning in the world and broaden ourselves in the process. We all work hard and efficiently to make the most out of the time we have. We believe in families and having the time to take part in them. We are dedicated to our work at the office and at home and do what we must to make the impact needed for success. We are opportunists, realists and outwardly positive. We believe in our skills, our purpose and our ability to succeed. We are powerful individuals who have come together to make something more.
The Director of Operations will maintain overall strategic and operational leadership for the manufacturing and production aspects of the business. Reporting to the President, the Director of Operations will drive and lead department strategic planning, measure operating efficiencies, and implement growth and scalability initiatives with alignment to company vision. Ensure that production schedules and inventory levels are achieved, as well as compliance with policies, regulations, and safety standards. Director of Operations will also coordinate with other departments and vendors to effectively launch new products, communicate operational status of products at all times, as well as ensure quality standards.
- Effectively lead and manage a team of hard working, dedicated team members in alignment with company vision and values, while fostering empowerment and collaboration throughout.
- Develop, implement, and manage departmental budget and report on progress and challenges.
- Implement operational plans and initiatives that promote and result in increased profitability, effective inventory management, and successful order fulfillment.
- Responsible for the consistent application and adherence of policies and procedures, and alignment to company vision.
- Coordinates solutions to both tactical and strategic business problems.
- Design and lead a long-term plan for operations that will achieve scalability.
- Oversee Production, Shipping, Warehouse and Inventory, Order Fulfillment and Sourcing. This includes the company’s MRP system.
- Plan, oversee, and manage annual and quarterly goals, and ensure teams are successful in implementation and progress tracking.
- Manage and develop relationships with key vendors, including contracts and negotiations.
Skill sets and experience:
- 5-7 years in management role
- Experience in manufacturing and inventory management a must.
- Well versed in implementing and operating an MRP/ERP system.
- Proficient in developing and maintaining department budgets.
- Strong sourcing skills- identify vendors, onboard and maintain relationships.
- Ability to self-direct and prioritize among competing goals and exhibit flexibility in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Adept at thinking strategically, organizing and illustrating those thoughts and translating plans into action.
- Creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; strong leadership skills.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively and professionally interface with management, owners, and Board of Directors.
- Ability to analyze current processes and procedures and determine success and failure points, make recommendations for improvement and implement changes.
Remit resume to:
Please include a cover letter that tells us why you would like to work at Kodo!